Saturday, July 19, 2008

Off on vacation...

Although I travel a lot for work, travelling with the kids is not something I do very often. We have been a bit home bound since number 2 arrived. But this being July, and the weather being good, we loaded up the trusty Ford Taurus Station-wagon and headed North to Cape Cod, a drive of more than 500 miles (800km) and two days.

My wife has to take on most of the burden when we travel, as I have moaned about before. She packs for the kids, herself and the journey. I pack my stuff. I help Number 1 into the car (it is very difficult for me to lift Number 2 into his car seat) and strap her in then get in myself. My wife is left trying to fit three suitcases, a stroller, a wheelchair and the various bits and pieces of travel, into the car in 100F (38C) heat - an activity guaranteed to make her grumpy.

Driving long distances in the USA is not generally a big issue for the wheelchair user. Most rest-stops and restaurants have accessible toilets. Indeed, US residents have really no idea how good they have it until they travel in Ireland, England or one of the less civilized European countries like Italy. Indeed, the only problem with long distance driving is that thousands of other drivers do it too - on my roads, clogging them up and extending my journey hours.
We don't try and take the 500miles in one chunk - that would be unfair on the children, and my legs would seize. So we split the journey and over-night along the way. My aim is to drive 5-6hours in a day, then rest. After 6 hours in the car my rear end (which normally has no sensation) is tingling with ghost pins and needles.

But we made it. And I am looking forward to a week of 100% family time, with Number 2 clinging on to my lap and Number 2 running on the beach - alas, inaccessible to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment